Well, if we recorded episode 49 of the podcast tonight like originally planned I may have never written this. So this is kind of like the thing that was never supposed to be but happened anyway. Since we didn't record I felt like I should get something new up on the blog, been quite awhile since I wrote anything. I much prefer to talk Brewers baseball then write about it since I feel I am not very good at writing. Nothing long or flashy here, just the top 10 Brewers prospects in my humble opinion with a quick blurb about each player. I decided not to include any of the players the Crew drafted this year (Coulter, Roache, etc.) because I don't think I know quite enough about them yet to really rank them. Also chose not to include guys like Taylor Green or Michael Fiers since they are up and playing prominent roles with the Brewers now.
1. Taylor Jungmann (RHP): 1st round pick in 2011, pitching well in A+. Has the body, the stuff and experience to be a top half of the rotation guy. Should move quick through the system.
2. Scooter Gennett (2B): Good approach at the plate and all he does is hit and hit and hit. Most pundits say its a plus hit tool. Not much power, but can really barrel a ball into the gap and down the line for doubles and triples. Okay glove at 2B with some speed on the bases.
3. Wily Peralta (RHP): Was most peoples #1 Brewers prospect coming into the season, but has struggled mightily at AAA after a great 2011. Still has a lot of upside and has a good chance of being in the big league rotation in 2013.
4. Tyler Thornburg (RHP): Dominating AA this season. Looked good through 5 in big league debut spot start, but was chased in the 6th when he got gassed. Big fastball, good offspeed with a curve and change but needs to command them better for strikes.
5. Jed Bradley (LHP): Second 1st round pick in 2011, started season off pitching well at A+ but has struggled recently with a dip in velocity. Like Jungmann, he has the body and stuff. Should move through system quick. Hope that recent drop in velo is not due to an injury.
6. Jimmy Nelson (RHP): Big right hander with a fantastic mid 90's sinking fastball. Needs to command his slider better but he has the ability to miss bats and get a lot of grounders.
7. Caleb Gindl (OF): Has hit at every level. Has a little power, but more of a doubles hitter. Can play either corner OF spot respectably. Good OBP guy, if Brewers leave Hart at 1B, could get his shot in 2013.
8. Logan Schafer (OF): Might be best defensive CF in entire org, including Gomez. Decent hitter, gets on base has speed to steal bases. Could start in CF in the bigs as early as 2013.
9. Drew Gagnon (RHP): Off to a really good start in A ball this season. Good low 90's fastball and a nasty slider. Needs to develop better changeup to stay a starter.
10. Orlando Arcia (SS): 17 year old out of Venezula. Super athletic, good defender. Has a stick to, hit for average with flashes of power. Good OBP skills. Guys would could walk more than he K's. Unfortunately he will miss this season due to a fractured ankle.