Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ron Roenicke Tabbed As 18th Manager In Brewers History

I have to admit, before today I did not know a whole hell of a lot about Ron Roenicke. And honestly, I probably still don't know that much about him. Hell, I didn't even have him tabbed in my final four post a few weeks back. Until I actually see the way Ron manages a ball game and hear him speak I can't make a judgement one way or another. But I can say the things I have learned about Ron during the past four hours or so lead me to believe he has potential to be a very good big league manager.

He has a long history in the game. He played in the big leagues eight seasons as an OF for six different teams. He managed for six seasons in the minor leagues and since 2000 he has been a part of Mike Scioscia's coaching staff for the Angels, first as a 3B coach and then bench coach. I am encouraged a great deal by the fact that Roenicke is a disciple of Mike Scioscia. The last two coaches who left Scioscia's stable to become managers have had great success, Joe Maddon with the Rays and Bud Black with the Padres. If Roenicke is able to have close to the success those two have had I would be ecstatic.

I look forward to Roenicke bringing the aggressive style of baseball played in Anaheim to Milwaukee. It's not small ball with sac bunting like some believe, but being aggressive on the base paths by stealing more bases and taking the extra base. Put pressure on the other teams defense at all times. According to many of the reports I have read, Roenicke possesses perhaps the number one skill Ken Macha did not. The ability to communicate with players. It has been well documented how Macha never connected or related well to his players during his two seasons in Milwaukee and by the time he tried to in 2010 he had lost the clubhouse. It does not sound like that will be an issue with Roenicke. Look no further then this quote from Angels OF Torii Hunter:

“I’m disappointed he’s leaving,” Hunter said. “He’s a very intelligent man. He’s the guy I go to when I’m struggling.

“I’m upset, but it’s a great opportunity for him. He’s always wanted to be a manger. Those guys are going to like him.”

In my opinion there are a lot of qualities to like and get excited about in Ron Roenicke. But like I said, I need to see the results on the field and hear the man speak before I make a true judgement. But as of today knowing what I know now about him, I think he has the makings of a really good big league manager. While Bobby Valentine had the big name, Bob Melvin had experience and Joey Cora was impressive in the interview process, Roenicke won out over them all and I think that says a lot about Roenicke's credentials. I just hope Doug Melvin can give him a good pitching staff to work with....Go Brewers!

No comments: