Sunday, June 15, 2008

News, Notes And General "Tidbits"

I attended today's Brewers v. Twins game on Fathers Day with my Father. We had a great time, brought back a lot of memories of going to the games when I was young at County Stadium. Shared a great Brewers 4-2 win to avoid the sweep as well as some laughs, beers and brats! We arrived to the park about an hour and a half before first pitch and got to see the Brewers players playing ball with all of their kids on the field. It was neat to see them playing ball with their big league Dads.

Seth McClung (4-3, 3.94 ERA) continues to impress and I continue to have a HUGE man crush on him. Got the win today and pitched 6 strong innings striking out 4 giving up 4 hits, 2 runs both earned but once again walked ZERO. It just shows you once again that if Seth keep the walks at a minimum he can be a very good starting pitcher in this league. His ONLY bad start was against the Braves when he walked 6. It just goes to show ya.

I totally called Mike Cameron's 2-run HR today as I turned to my Dad and said; "after he hits this HR I will forget all about that .215 AVG." Sure enough, he made me forget. For now :)

Although Ryan Braun hit his 18th HR last night, he had an 0-4 today and his average has dipped to .285. The lowest it has been in awhile. I dare to say that Ryan has gone into a "mini slump". Shouldn't be too much of a concern, Braun doesn't go into prolonged slumps because he is that damn good. I expect him to heat up against the Jays and the O's.

Injured relief pitchers Eric Gagne and David Riske are making positive steps in the direction of getting of the DL. Riske threw a few simulated game innings on Saturday and Gagne threw off a mound Sunday morning for the first time since going on the DL. Neither have "timetables" on return dates but both are moving in the right direction and Riske seems closer then Gagne at this point. My hope is the sooner the better. With guys like DiFelice, Dillard and Tavarez wondering our pen I would much rather have these guys out there.

No comments: