Thursday, October 21, 2010

And Then There Were Four

Today news broke that after interviewing nearly a dozen candidates, the Brewers have narrowed down their search to four men to become the eighteenth manager in club history. They plan on having second interviews for those four guys that owner Mark Attanasio will be involved in. If I had to guess at who the "Final 4" are I would say they include Bob Melvin (who most pin as the favorite), Pat Listach, Joey Cora and Tim Wallach. With what I know about these four (which is not a ton, but enough) I can honestly say I would be fine with any of the four. Part of me likes the youth and unknown (since none have managed in the big leagues) of Listach, Cora and Wallach. While the other part likes the fact that Bob Melvin has experience, seems pretty well regarded and has won before. I just trust and hope in both Doug and Mark to pick the guy who they feel can best get this current group of guys to play at a high level and get the most out of them. That is something I am not sure that Ken Macha was able to do in his two seasons in Milwaukee.

Now perhaps the best news was this little blurb from Tom Haudricourt in his JSonline Brewers Blog comments sections:

"I just was told by a very good source that neither Bob Brenly nor Bobby Valentine are in the mix for the Brewers' managerial job. "

Let me just say, THANK GOD. Especially on Brenly. I could live with Bobby Valentine managing the Brewers, but no way in hell could I stand Bob Brenly. I would rather have Macha or Yost back before that happens. Hopefully sometime next week we find out who's hands the Brewers brass gives the keys to drive the 2011 Brewers back to the postseason.

No comments: