Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Winter Meetings Day #3

Well we all knew it would probably come to this but it's still tough to swallow. Today CC Sabathia agreed to a 7 year $161 mill contract with the New York Yankees. It becomes the richest contract ever for a pitcher. The Yankees outbid themselves by giving Sabathia another year and $21 mill more. I think it came down to the fact that no west coast teams got in on the Sabathia bidding and the Yankess overpaid to make sure Sabathia didn't take less money to stay in Milwaukee because of his uncomfortableness with playing in New York. But in the end that would just be way to much money to turn down. I cant blame CC, no person in their right mind would turn down that kind of cash. I just wish that a west coast team (Giants, Dodgers or Angels) would have jumped in. I will hate seeing CC in Yankee pinestripes. The only uniform that would have been worse would have been a Cubs uniform. I wish CC all the best but I hope the Yankees suck and I will never forget how great and important CC's half of a season was here in Milwaukee.

Now that Sabathia has signed, Doug Melvin can move on and figure out what he can do to keep this club competitive in the NL Central. Need to get at least one above average starting pitcher and still need some bullpen help.

The big news to come out today after the CC news as far as the Brewers are concerned was that the Brewers are now in on Brian Fuentes. Rumors are that Fuentes will be looking for a contract around 3 years $33 mill. I'm not a huge fan of spending money on a closer but Fuentes is pretty solid and if the Brewers did snag him I wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

Mike Cameron being traded to the Yankees also made some noise today with CC signing with the Yanks. Personally I would be all for that if we could get say Phil Hughes in return? Maybe Melky Cabrera thrown in. That might be to much to ask for Cameron though.

All I know is I doubt the Brewers will sign a big name free agent starting pitcher, so look for Doug Melvin to work some trade magic for one.

No comments: