Saturday, February 21, 2009

"No Classic For Me"

Those the words from Brewers ace Yovani Gallardo. As most hoped and assumed Yovani told Mexico he would pass on a chance to pitch for them in the WBC. A tough choice no doubt for Gallardo who really wanted to pitch for his native country. But in the end, he made the right choice. Coming off that knee injury last season I think most Brewers fans and people inside the organization wanted to see Yovani in Brewers camp the entire spring and not risk an injury in the WBC. This should keep Yovani in a routine the entire spring where if he was on team Mexico he might get sporadic work. The Brewers left this decision totally up to Gallardo and its nice to see him put his team first over playing for his native country. I'm sure Yovani will get another chance in 2012.

On another Gallardo related note. I heard on ESPN 540 yesterday during Homer's show that on cbssports.com's site in their Brewers preview Jason Kendall was quoted as saying "I'd be surprised if he didn't win a Cy Young, he's that good." I have to agree with Kendall, yes Yovani has only thrown 134 MLB innings. But the writing is on the wall. He has a the poise, command and confidence of a guy who has pitching for 10 years even though he is only 22. He has a mid 90's fastball, nasty curveball and a good changeup. You can also see he has a fantastic work ethic and wants to win badly. Look no further for that evidence then the fact he came back from a torn ACL in May to pitch in September and October for the Brewers after most (myself included) didn't think we would see him pitch again until this spring. I was as excited to see Gallardo pitch at the end of last year as I was for any of CC's starts. And that is saying a lot. All I know for sure is in my opinion Gallardo posses the kind of stuff that only real special pitchers have. I'm talking HOF special.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying Yovani Gallardo will be a HOF, I am saying he has the kind of talent that other HOF have had. It's a matter of putting it all together over a long period of time.

No comments: