Saturday, March 21, 2009

Weeks/Kendall Leadoff Problem, Solved In 2010

Well I have seen a lot of discussion on various sites, blogs and message boards about the Brewers batting order and specifically leadoff with Rickie Weeks and now potentially, at least sometimes Jason Kendall batting leadoff. I don't have a huge problem with Kendall doing it for certain match ups, I mean the guy has batted leadoff more then any other spot in his career and he is good at working the count. But with his best offensive days behind him I would hate to see him batting anywhere but 8th to often. As for Weeks, yeah he probably shouldn't be batting leadoff but he is the closest thing we have to a leadoff hitter so he kind of gets put there by default almost. What I'm getting at here is that next season I don't think we will have to have these kind of debates. Why you ask? Well Lorenzo Cain should be the starting CF in 2010 and he would seem to me to be a clear cut choice to bat leadoff, this would allow Weeks to move down to 2nd or around 6th or 7th. This is assuming Cain progresses enough at AAA Nashville this season to take the step up in 2010, which many feel he will. And it would be perfect timing as I don't see Mike Cameron retained after this season.

No comments: