Friday, January 23, 2009

Counsell To Play The "Gritty" Veteran Again For Brewers

Veteran utility infielder Craig Counsell will once again play that role for the Brewers in 2009 as he and the Brewers agreed to a 1 year $1 mill contract. Should be made official after the weekend. this will be Counsell's 4th season as a Brewer.

I like the deal overall. Counsell actually had an option on his last contract for this year at $3.4 mill which the Brewers of course declined. Sorry Craig but no way you are worth that much now or really at any point in your career. Counsell is what he is, an above average defender at three infield positions (2B, SS and 3B) to spell a starter once in awhile, a gritty veteran presence on a young club and a decent left handed bat off the bench who can draw, lay down a bunt or come up with a big base hit. It is always nice to have one guy on your club that can do the things Counsell does as long as you don't have to rely on him for anything more then that.

Basically if Counsell has to make a lot of starts or get a lot of AB's you are in trouble. But we have Rickie at 2B, JJ at SS and a Hall/Lamb platoon at 3B. So I pretty much just picture Counsell giving Rickie and JJ a rest here and there.

Tomorrow is Brewers "On Deck", I must say I'm quite excited. Like I have said before being able to spend an entire day at the end of January in Wisconsin when it's like 10 degrees out around baseball activities can give you warm feelings. I think I'm most looking forward to the Trevor Hoffman press conference and the Q&A with GM's Doug Melvin and Gord Ash. I also plan on getting a ball signed by my boy Dave Bush. Sunday or Monday I should have a post up on the happenings from the day and some pictures.

No comments: