Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Powell Going Home Back To The ATL

One half of the Brewers radio announce team for the past 13 years is heading back home. Jim Powell who has teamed with Bob Uecker calling Brewers games for the past 13 years has accepted a job with him home town Atlanta Braves.

This was rumored a few months back but was made official today by an Atlanta newspaper. I wish Jimmy all the best, sucks to see him go. I have enjoyed many Brewers games hearing him and Uecker not only call the action but be very entertaining on-air talking about old stories and even non-baseball stuff. One of the things that I always really enjoyed about Powell was his frequent talk about minor league players and what was going on "down on the farm", it was nice to be educated about or system and future Brewers.

I can't blame Powell for leaving, if I was an announcer for any MLB team other then the Brewers and then the Brewers had an opening and wanted me you can bet I would be out the door as well. Seeing Jim goes makes it even a little sweeter that the Brewers made the playoffs in his last year in the WTMJ 620/Brewers Radio Network booth.

No word on a replacement yet. And I don't even have a clue of any candidates. I will say if they wanted to go the route of having a play-by-play guy and analyst at the same time how about Uecker and Jeff Cirillo?

No comments: