Monday, November 10, 2008

Reading Material

I have to admit, I don't read a lot of books. My sources of reading come from the Internet (news sites/blogs), the Journal Sentinel, Sports Illustrated and Rolling Stone. A few months ago I read "God Save The Fan" by Will Leitch (creator of Deadspin.com), it was a great read and I would recommend it to any sports fan. The last book I read before that, well I couldn't tell you because it was that long ago. I recently started reading another book (hey that might be two in a year!) and it is a book I should have read long before now. "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis. This is one of those must reads if your a baseball fan and I'm glad I'm finally getting around to it thanks to another fellow Brewers/baseball nerd at my work Patrick. It is the story of A's GM Billy Beane and how he has been able to field successful winning clubs in a small market while so many teams with much higher payrolls can't. I have only read the first two chapters of the book but already find it very interesting and can't believe I have not read this book before now. I think after I finish "Moneyball" I will have to look into another book. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ball Four" is a must

If you venture outside baseball and into music "Killing Bono" and "Scar Tissue" are both fantastic.

JD said...

Thanks for the references. I might have to check some of those out. And yeah I would totally be into music books.

Theron Schultz said...

Another interesting baseball book I'd suggest is Stolen Season by David Lamb. It's dated (almost 20 years old), but it's a story about a summer the author spent traveling to minor league cities and talking to minor leaguers. It provides good insight into what the minors are really about. Plus there are lot of 90's Brewers mentioned in it so it's kind of cool "knowing" what will happen when they don't (obviously) in the book.